Circle of the Dragon's Crystal-Unfolding

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Lemur, Nyt, ModernMage  
Forum » Open Forums » Open Pagan Forum » Community Service (Do you devote time and energy? What can we do better?)
Community Service
LemurDate: Friday, 2011-08-12, 6:55 PM | Message # 1
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Group: Administrators
Back when I was living in Orlando I was a shot-term member of Food Not Bombs.

I was also been the leader of our local ecology committee and organized beach cleanups and such.

I also did countless hours of free counseling, ran several moon circles, bardic circles and all that.

But this isn't about me - except that I miss the opportunity. Now that I'm in the middle of nowhere, it's a little more challenging.

There's a local homeless guy with a dog, and we get him dog food (and a sandwich if he'll accept it) any time we see him.

So, hopefully some original community service ideas from you folks. To spark ideas for others.

What have you done, what have you tried that didn't work (and why) what have you tried that DID work and why? What would you like to try?

“There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein

ModernMageDate: Tuesday, 2011-09-13, 10:13 PM | Message # 2
Nion
Group: Administrators
It's not community service, but one thing I do is if I see someone broken down on the side of the road and I don't have time to help, I send them a ball of good karmic energy and visualize them getting help. Everyone needs positive energy at some point or another.

I also help out with food drives (pet and human) and United Way events. November 4 I am using my volunteer paid time off day at work to help out at some of the local charities and food banks.

SingeDate: Wednesday, 2011-09-14, 3:31 PM | Message # 3
Beith
Group: Seekers
I used to volunteer for AVP, Alternatives to Violence Program.
I went into a high security prison to work with people who wanted
to learn conflict resolution. We learned how to use anger as a tool,
not a weapon.

I remember one man as a result of an exercise we did wrote to his daughter who he
had not written to in years.

It was amazing to me to feel such resiliance and change possible
in myself and others.

Forum » Open Forums » Open Pagan Forum » Community Service (Do you devote time and energy? What can we do better?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: