Circle of the Dragon's Crystal-Unfolding

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Lemur, Nyt, ModernMage  
Forum » Open Forums » Open Pagan Forum » Recommended Reading (Magickal and Spiritual)
Recommended Reading
LemurDate: Friday, 2011-11-25, 2:24 AM | Message # 1
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Group: Administrators
Looking for a good book on the subject of Wicca, Magick, Spirituality, and so on? Here's where we'll post those. Please do contribute!

Oh and please do forgive me if some of my descriptions are a bit sparse. I've owned and/or read the books I'm recommending, but many of them I read YEARS ago, and sadly though they lived on my bookshelf for years, they burned to small piles of ash about a year ago, so I can't go back and reference many of them in detail.

If you want to recommend books that aren't related to the main subject of our site, please use the threads in the Off Topic areas of our forums.

“There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein

LemurDate: Friday, 2011-11-25, 2:58 AM | Message # 2
She Who Must Be Obeyed
A few "general Wicca" titles, suitable for new students or old.

I know some people don't seem to like Starhawk. Why I haven't yet figured out. Some folks say she's too political, some that she's too feminist. Personally, though I respect those aspects of her work, I'm especially impressed with how evocative the writing and rituals and spells in Spiral Dance are.

As one of the first books about Wicca that you could find in a normal bookstore (back before I knew there were pagan bookstores!) this has always been one of my favorites. Get a copy to lend and a copy to keep, because this book likes to be borrowed!

Spiral Dance covers much of Wiccan basics from grounding and centering to visualization to worship to energy raising to lovely chants and poetry and example spells. Better yet, it's written clearly, in a homey, easy to read and understand style.

There is a reason this book is a classic!

--

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler

Even though this book is about 20 or 30 years old now, it's still an excellent look into the history of modern Wicca and the subtleties of many of the traditions of Wicca. Scholarly yet an interesting read, I highly recommend it.

“There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein

NytDate: Thursday, 2012-03-01, 5:22 PM | Message # 3
Duir
Part of Nyt's recommended list:

Myth to Live By - Jospeh Campbell
The Power of Myth - DVD - Jospeh Campbell, Bill Moyers
Hero with a Throusand Faces - Jospeh Campbell
The Art of Loving - Erich From
The Witches Bible - Janet and Stuart Farrar Older Book but still a good one
What Witches Do - Janet and Stuart Farrar
Eight Sabbats For Witches- Janet and Stuart Farrar
The Witches Goddess- Janet and Stuart Farrar
The Witches God- Janet and Stuart Farrar
The Inner Temple of Witchcraft - Christopher Penzack ( I enjoy his books, I find a couple of small things here and there I disagree with, but by and large an excellent author and great place to start)
Temple of Witchcraft Series - Christopher Penzack
Runes-- Theory and Practice - Galina Krasskova
Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman
Scott Cunningham - Anything by him. Very basic and an introduction to Wicca, still a good place to start.
Dark Moon Mysteries: Wisdom, Power, and Magic of the Shadow World - Timothy Rodrick

"I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith"

The world is changing, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air.

Forum » Open Forums » Open Pagan Forum » Recommended Reading (Magickal and Spiritual)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: